Wednesday, May 14, 2008

364 Kids' Days

Mother's Day 2008. I woke up to the boys quietly shutting my bedroom door, making themselves breakfast, and peeking in on me now and then to see if I was done sleeping in yet.

So I got out of bed.

"Wait Mom! Don't come out yet until we say!"

Fine. I wait. I wonder what's up their sleeves this year.

"Ok, walk out into the hall...... SURPRISE!!!!!!" They jumped out at me, arms in the air, wiggling their hands like a couple of cheerleaders. I now have my very own cheer squad. (Uh, minus a few members and a whole lot of girls... but oh well!)

All day we got to focus on mom (that's me). Actually, it started the night before with my longest-time friend who agreed to babysit so I could go to a formal dinner for PAEYC (the local chapter of the National Association for the Education of Young Children.... I'm on the board). Anyway, when I got home around 10 pm she told me the boys had just now gone to bed. I was a little surprised at the late hour, but then I looked around and realized they had cleaned the ENTIRE house for me. The sitter told them they should "do something nice for mom, because she's always doing something nice for you." And then I looked on the table. B~ walked out of the bedroom groggily and announced that the purple flowers were from him because he knows how much I love purple. The blue ones were from N~, and the pink from the sitter. They were beautiful!

At church the boys sang with the other Primary children the normal "Mother I Love You" and "Quickly I'll Obey" songs. And after the meeting the youth group passed out the traditional See's candy boxes while the bishop had all the moms, grandmas, great-grandmas, etc. stand to be recognized. I love tradition.

So here's the kicker.

After church I noticed B~ acting a bit sulky.

"What's wrong, B~? Did something happen at church today?"

"No. Nothing's wrong. I'm just not happy right now."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"No."

"Okay. Let us know when you do."

We got in the car. He started crying.

"Honey? What's up?"

"Well, why do we have to spend ALL DAY celebrating just moms? I mean, when is it KIDS DAY?!"

1 comment:

Ms. Julie said...

I heard this question this year (again) too. I didn't even have to answer it. Before I could even take a breath, the older two informed the youngest that "every day is Kids' Day."

:)

Our ward's tradition for Mother's Day is having all the talks given by teenagers. It's always a beautiful tribute.