Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mourning my Quad

I've lost my scriptures: the ones I've had since college, before my mission. Last time I saw them was on the drive home from Utah... in a rental car. I know it may seem silly to mourne the loss of a set of scriptures, but with my new calling as a Gospel Doctrine teacher in my ward, I can't help but feel a little nervous about it. They were so worn down that certain pages would fall out when opened to them. They were marked up with notes, cross-references, quotations, and pictures drawn by my children throughout the years. There were dates of significance, which meant something only to me, written along the edges of the pages next to passages that helped me through this trial or that trial. There was a page turned down at the corner - the same page in the Book of Mormon that was turned down by one of the most significant men who gave his own life as a marter for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It wasn't just a set of scriptures. It was my best friend.

2 comments:

Ms. Julie said...

Oh no! Sheila, this makes me so sad. I'll look at my church building...did you bring them with you to church when you came with me?

Home to Energy said...

It's not at your church building. I think we left them in the rental van. :( :(
I can't tell you how sick I am every time I think about them. I cried and cried when I realized they just weren't coming back. The lady at the rental place said she'd look for them, but I haven't heard back yet.