Sunday, November 30, 2008

Missing Church

I hate missing church. I can honestly say that I have been to church consistently for most of my life. I will make every effort to attend at least Sacrament Meeting, no matter where I am. I'm not boasting. I just absolutely love to go. I love the people, the lessons, the feeling, the choir, the bishop, the RS president... everything. When I miss church my whole week suffers.

Two weeks ago I was sick. It was the pits. I had just enough energy to drive my kids to church and then back home again. I slept nearly all day. When I was awake I was dizzy. I'm not very good at being sick. I'm a miserable person to be around. And I missed church. The week following was tough, but I got through it. And I was very happy to be back at church last Sunday.

Yesterday I picked my kids up from the airport after their trip to their dad's for Thanksgiving. My eldest looked like he was about to faint. His symptoms were similar to what I had been through two weeks ago. The only difference is that he also had a fever.

Today is his birthday. And he spent it in bed with a sore throat and a fever. And we both missed church. Poor kid - what a yucky birthday!

Well, at least I've got the General Conference cd's now. Maybe the two of us can listen to a session together. Hey! I might have to miss work tomorrow! Darn.

2 comments:

necrodancer said...

It is sad when illness separates us from those things we enjoy. Church attendance and birthdays all in one swell foop, too! I hope he feels better quickly.

I find missing church on Sunday definitely makes the rest of my week a little less congruent - something is just not right. My work project prevented my church attendance this week. Although it is only Tuesday, it feels like it should be Friday at the very least.

There is strength to be found in the edifying power of the spirit, this is certain!

Bronwidge said...

thats sad! and also ironic, I was thinking today how dumb it would be to be sick on my birthday, and then I read your blog! that must have stunk.

E~ has been sick too. She couldn't go to church last sunday and missed 3 days of school. Hope you stay well!