Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Men vs Women

I'm not a feminist. I believe there are inherent differences in men and women and I'm very comfortable with that. It's not a mystery to me that most men are stronger than most women. I'm also comfortable with that. I'm a small woman, so it's okay if I admit that there are things I can't do that a big strong man can!

HOWEVER...

I have also learned that I can do a lot of things I never thought I'd be able to do without a man's help. I can paint the house. I can make simple repairs to the dryer. I can move furniture. I can change a light fixture. I can change a tire on my car. I can move the fridge and mop behind it and then move it back without scratching the floor. I can even replace a toilet! (Okay, I admit, I had help from my brothers with the toilet.)

So here I am in my "girl power" state of mind. I go to the boys' gym to help them move and work all day. I'm even praised that I know how to use a power drill, and they took my picture to prove it to everyone else!

And THEN...! Here's the email thread between me and the owner/coach of the gymnastics club:

Hello All,
We did not have enough time and help to set up the equipment in the new gym. The team practices on Monday and Wednesday have been canceled.
Thank you,
A~

A~,
I'm sorry it didn't get finished! Is there anything else we can all do to help get things settled this week? Please let us know!

S~

S~,
We need more men help.
Thanks,
A~

I know, I shouldn't be offended. Actually, my first reaction was to laugh right out loud. Sheesh! I know he was refering to the hard manual labor of getting the spring-board floor put together. But come on, I can screw a few boards together just as well as the next MAN can!

3 comments:

necrodancer said...

I've been working on relocating a couple different offices this past few months. Let me just say that although there are some things a stronger man will life that a less robust woman might not, in most cases the woman is a harder worker. Of those who work for me, the women tend to have a better knack of multitasking. Sure, men can multitask but we're better off if they focus on one thing at a time.

The coach missed out on an opportunity to get things done with willing help. I've worked along side my mother doing things that "men" were supposed to do. I think anyone can do just about anything if they really want to get it done - a motivated individual will surprise you.

Home to Energy said...

THANK YOU! I would have worked my fingers to the bones for this company, and then visited the chiropractor afterward, but since he only wants "men help", I'm not feeling so bad about waiting until he gets exactly what he wants. :)

Heck, it gives me a few days off from my crazy schedule, and I've enjoyed every minute of the extra time I've had with the boys!

Steven Rosbach said...

Jeez, I call repairmen do do ALL of that crap!