Friday, December 5, 2008

What I love about Christmas

I love Christmas more than any other time of the year. And that includes my birthday!

I love the cold weather (what do I know about "cold" -- I live in the bay area!)
I love the shopping (although this year I'm not doing much of that -- and I say that every year)
I love Christmas In The Park and the outdoor ice skating rink in downtown San Jose
I love getting Christmas cards
I love choosing, buying, and putting up the Christmas Tree
I love decorating the house with Nativity Scenes and lights and snow globes
I love watching old Christmas movies in my pj's with a big bowl of buttered air-popped popcorn in my lap
I love sipping hot cocoa with marshmallows and whipped cream
I love drinking egg nog (with milk, of course)
I love singing Christmas carols
I love listening to Christmas music -- especially the old classics and the one my sister wrote
I love opening presents
I love watching my kids open presents
I love the words: "is that ALL?" after the presents are all opened
I love the crumpled up wrapping paper strewn all over the floor
I love the smell of real pine needles
I love the baking and the eating of Christmas dinner and Christmas treats
I love eating home-made Chex party mix and my dad's "grog"
I love playing games with my family until all hours of the night at mom's house
I love watching my sisters-in-law knit together while the siblings play the games
I love seeing out-of-town friends and family
I love the way the kids at school look when they hand me a Christmas card or present
I love time off work -- although this year there will be fewer days :(
I love walking out of my mom's house late at night and breathing the crisp, cool Sunnyvale air that reminds me of this time of year
I love believing in Santa, if only for one night every year
I love surprises in my stocking at mom's house
I love hearing the church choir and the Primary children sing Christmas hymns at church
I love church the Sunday after Christmas when everyone in the congregation has the chance to share their favorite hymn, scripture, or testimony
I love sharing Christmas memories with my brothers and sisters, and even breaking out all those old Christmas morning videos dad took every year while we were kids
I love wearing sweaters and funny-looking toe socks
I love retelling the story of the birth of our Savior
I love the First Presidency Christmas Devotional
I love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert
I love looking for the "pickle" in mom's Christmas tree
I love the excitement that surrounds this time of year and wish it would last just a bit longer

What do you love?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try this out:
Home made egg nog
2 "fake eggs" (1/2 cup egg beaters)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 qt. milk
1 cup whipping cream, whipped but not peaked.
Combine eggs, sw. cond. milk, and vanilla. Slowly add teh quart of milk. Fold in the whipped whipping cream. Sprinkle with nutmeg and let chill for several hours. (Can use skim and low fat milks.)
This is SO yummy, may not go back to store bought.
Love ya! Steph

Home to Energy said...

Thanks Steph! I'm so happy you posted this! I was actually going to ask you what your recipe was. :) Can't wait to try it!

Bronwidge said...

I also love egg nog
I love the pickle(although I only get to search for it every 4 years
:()
I love the spirit of giving
I love not telling anyone what you really want, but you reciece it anyway, like they can read your mind.

hmmm my word verification said "trobled" thats actually close to a real one!