Sunday, April 20, 2008

Compulsive Beginner

I love to read. I read chapter books, story books, poem books, and scriptures to my kids before they go to bed. I read novels, self-help books, books about raising children, cookbooks, how-to books, historical fiction, books on relationships, books about quilting, books written by the General Authorities of the Church. I listen to audio books in the car almost every day. And I love to BUY new books! But here's the problem. I have a really hard time finishing them. I am currently in the middle of eleven books right now. ELEVEN. And I really do mean I'm right in the middle of them. Some of them I'm completely riveted to, some I've been browsing for a few months. It kind of depends on my mood, I guess. One day my eldest said to me, "Mom, can we finish this book before we read any more of the other one? I'm getting the stories mixed up in my head."

So I'm starting to wonder if this isn't some sort of sign about me. I'm really great at beginning things, but I have a difficult time ending them before I feel like moving on to something new.

Take household chores for example. I have no problem putting dishes in the dishwasher and turning them on. But when they're done I have a tough time getting around to actually putting them away. (That's what my 6-year-old is for, right?) Or laundry. This is embarrassing. I have been known to have piles of clean clothes on my bedroom floor all week - until the next laundry day when I just add to last week's pile. "Mom, I can't find my black shirt." "Have you checked my bedroom floor yet?" Oh they're folded or at least in organized sections, but not put away yet - I had to vacuum the floor first... and what's that toy doing all the way over here? It's supposed to be in that room over there where the computer is. Man, do these boys ever put away their computer games?!

Okay, let's talk about work. I have HOARDS of deadlines. I start working on a project with all intensions of finishing it by the end of the day, only to get to 5:00 with four more "nearly done" projects on my desk.

Music. I love listening to a new cd. But half way through I feel like listening to something else. It's not that I don't like what I'm listening to, or even that I'm bored. I just feel like doing something new. And let's not forget my piano lessons. How many pieces by Chopin and Debussy can one person work on at a time?

Food. I love eating out. But have I ever finished an entire meal at a restaurant? Ask my dates who end up paying for a whole meal that was only half eaten - only to be buying me an ice cream or hot chocolate 30 minutes later.

Maybe this is just typical procrastination. Maybe it's a sign of ADD. Maybe I've repressed something from my youth. I don't know!

3 comments:

Steven Rosbach said...

I gladly paid for your one-third-eatne meals. GLADLY. And I'd do it again.

Ms. Julie said...

My two younger daughters do the same thing with the books. I can't do it. I really would get all the stories mixed up in my head. I'm a one-book-at-a-time girl (okay, one book and one volume of scripture).

You're not alone with the dishwasher and the laundry. That IS what kids are for. :) I just have to buckle down and say to myself, "how long does it take to put away these folded clothes? Can I do it in five minutes? Okay, go!"

And the food? Totally different. You're a small girl with a small tummy. The portions restaurants serve are army-sized. I nearly always eat half, so I either share, or take food home. Or order the kid meal. :)

I think I've found the solution! It's all about portion control! Smaller loads of laundry, shorter books, kiddie-menu sized meals. Ta-da!

Home to Energy said...

Guess what?? I started book #12 (audio) on the way up to Sacramento Monday night and then I FINISHED it on the way home with time to spare. Hah! I can now say I am no longer an "unfinisher"! :)