Monday:
1. Meet with father of 2nd grader to discuss her failing appendix and upcoming surgery and how this will affect her (and her sister) at school these next couple of months
2. Meet with District Specialist to discuss summer curriculum
3. Drive to Sacramento to prepare for meetings Tuesday
4. Meet "Tall, Dark, and Handsome" for dinner (I liked this meeting)
Tuesday:
1. Meet with state legislators, state secretary of education, state assemblyman, and state senator to advocate for and discuss the importance of preschool
2. Meet friends for dinner
3. Drive back to Sunnyvale, meet babysitter at door w/money in hand
Wednesday:
1. Meet with school representatives to discuss board meeting on Thursday
2. Meet with assistant director to go over staff meeting agenda for next day
Thursday:
1. Director's meeting to discuss and plan summer curriculum
2. Meet with principal to discuss plans for next year and tonight's school board meeting
3. Staff meeting
4. School board meeting to present argument for continuing preschool program at current location
Friday:
1. Follow-up meeting with principal
2. Meet with preschool parent to discuss biting incident last week
3. Meet with 1st grader's parents to discuss classroom behavior
4. Meet mom for the opera (looking forward to this meeting)
Would anyone like to challenge me now that my job is "just babysitting"? I thought not.
4 comments:
"Meet with state legislators, state secretary of education, state assemblyman, and state senator to advocate for and discuss the importance of preschool."
You're not one of these make-it-mandatory people, are you?
OK, you are a babysitter and a meeting specialist. :)
Energy, I know how hard you work and how hard it is to deal with legislators, government mandates (or lack thereof), bureaucracies, biters, kickers, screamers, sickies, grouches, and the ocassionally happy person and then to have to take care of their kids as well. But you chose your profession and last I checked you still liked it.
You have my admiration.
Of course, if it were easy, it wouldn't be called "work". Very few people get paid for "play" (and unfairly, those that do get paid to play, get paid an aweful lot).
See you tonight.
HB - no, I don't believe preschool should be mandated - especially before Kindergarten is. However, I have to point out that children who attend preschool (and I am more an advocate for part-timers rather than those who attend all-day-preschool) are better adjusted children, have more social skills, and perform better in school as well as in life in general.
If you think I've got very strong opinions, you're right. And anyone who thinks they can argue with me and win, you're wrong. (Actually, I won't argue with you - I hate arguing.)
TAM - Yes, I did choose my profession. I chose it when I was only 9 years old. I TRIED to do something else and realized my heart just wasn't into it. But I hope you don't think I'm merely complaining about how difficult my job is. I love the energy I get from the children. I love the way they grasp onto new concepts and run with them (sometimes literally). I love to walk into a room and have 20 3- and 4-year-olds smile and wave and yell "hi Ms. Webb!" I love all those strangling hugs and the looks and words of appreciation from parents. It's not all grouchy government officials, biting, kicking, snot, potty accidents, and crying. It's also sometimes very fun! So in a way, I guess there are days I'm getting paid to "play". :)
Post a Comment