UPDATE: After some reflection (and thanks to my sister's comments) I decided to delete the main body of this post. I kept the links of the two LDS leaders' talks, though, and encourage everyone to take time to read them. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. And I pray for the families in Texas who have been affected by this tragedy.
This woman served as a leader in the Mormon church. She recently spoke to teenage girls worldwide. She encouraged them to stand up to peer pressure, strengthen their families and serve others. (Click here for more.)

This is one of the leaders of the Mormon church. Last Sunday he spoke about honoring women, especially mothers, and gave advice to husbands and children about how to treat the women in their lives. (For the whole story, click here.)
4 comments:
One wife is ENOUGH.
Amen, Sister. The only minor disagreement is on separating the kids out of that sect. The men are to blame, you're right, but when you have 31 out of 48 girls between 14-17 pregnant or already mothers, THESE are the mothers that the kids are being se[parated from. These are the conduits that the oppressive men use to assure they have another generation of willing minors to prey upon. Taking the kids out of that environment is the only way to save them and the next generations to come from them.
It's been nearly 120 years since the church stopped practising polygamy. All those who were involved are dead. And so should this issue. But self-styled zealots will continue to exist until Christ returns and sets it all straight.
I do ache for the mothers and children. They have been manipulated and conditioned by a belief system I would deem as demeaning and degrading. What people cannot understand is that plural marriage (not polygamy) is equitable and respectful.
I see the point the letter is trying to make, but I don't like the tone. It seems to be saying that real Mormons never make mistakes, never dress frumpy, never end up in handcuffs, etc., while boasting that we Mormons have some pretty famous people among us. *sigh*
My heart goes out to all of them, even the men. Satan is really good at confusing people, convincing them that lies are truth. I hope they all find their way. And I hope the rest of us, no matter what our religion, can be united in our concern for them.
HB - I don't like the idea of children being taken from their parents, even when it's done in an effort to protect them. It's a traumatic experience, even if you, I, or the president of the United States agree that it's for the best.
TAM - I echo the words of my son who told me on Sunday, "I wish today was the day Jesus was coming again."
Daredevil - Thank you for your comment. I can always count on you to be the least judgemental of all my friends. I do feel badly for the men, and I feel badly for the women. But mostly I feel horrible for the children. I always think about the children first because that's what I do: I'm an advocate for children.
This is my favorite part about what you said, so I'm going to repeat it: "I hope they all find their way. And I hope the rest of us, no matter what our religion, can be united in our concern for them."
Post a Comment